How to Boost Your Mental Health? | Mental Health Awareness Month 2021
“What mental health needs are more sunlight, more candor, and more unashamed conversation”
— Glenn Close
Rightly said by Glenn Close, what mental fitness requires is more awareness and acceptance. To take a few steps in this direction, Mental Health Awareness Month came into existence.
It is celebrated every year in the month of May. The objective of this month is to raise awareness and educate people about mental disturbances.
Origin of Mental Health Awareness Month
Mental Health Awareness Month was established in the United States in 1949 to increase the consciousness of its significance, promote wellness, and celebrate healing from mental illness in Americans’ lives. This was initiated by the Mental Health America (MHA) organization, formerly recognized as the National Association for Mental Health.
Importance of Mental Health Awareness Month
Every year, this month acts as a reminder that mental fitness is essential and that the people who deal with mental issues are worthy of love, care, attention, and empathy. It also builds a pathway to hope, healing, recovery, and fulfillment.
What is Mental Health and How It Works
Mental Health is a state of well-being in which an individual realizes his or her abilities, is able to cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively, and can contribute to the community.
Mental health plays an important role in our everyday life. It is the foundation on which our daily activities take place. One’s mental fitness influences the way that one thinks, perceives, feels, and performs. It greatly affects one’s personal, professional and social lives.
How to Boost Your Mental Health
Boosting your Mental fitness may seem difficult, but here are some practical practices that can be implemented in our daily lives.
- Have a workout routine. Now, this doesn’t necessarily mean go to a gym and lift those heavyweights. You can begin with walking/jogging. The idea here is to get your body moving.
- Express your feelings. You can talk to a friend or a loved one about your feelings. Or you can simply write it down or use creative mediums to express your feelings. You should never bottle up your emotions. Let them flow. This helps create healthy space in your mind.
- Eat good food. What you eat becomes what you feel. A healthy diet leads to a healthy mind and body.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, and tobacco. Consuming either of these things results in disturbances in your mind and sleep patterns.
- Take a break. If you find yourself working or striving to be productive all the time, take a break. Taking a break rejuvenates the strengths of your mind.
- Do something you love. Always make time for the things you love doing. It can be singing, painting, cycling, or any activity of your choice.
- Spend time with friends and family. Maintaining strong ties with your loved ones will help you reduce anxiety, stress, or any negative feelings.
We’ve established the fact that Mental Fitness is essential for everyone for various reasons. One notable benefit is that the more people have knowledge about the requirement of mental fitness treatments, the more resources and support will be made available.
Lastly, Mental fitness issues are common, but help is available. Do not shy away from asking for guidance from a friend or a professional practitioner.
Here’s a quick and remote solution if you need some help: Telemental Health services.
Telemental health is the use of telecommunications or videoconferencing technology to provide mental health services. it expands access, saves time, shortens delays, eases stigmas, and gets results (in most cases).